Writing Prompts with a Visual Twist

January8

Writing Prompts is a Tumblr blog packed full of image-based prompts that can be incorporated into daily and/or creative writing activities. To date, there are 300+ thought provoking ideas in a variety of categories available to utilize with your students with additional prompts posted regularly.

Check out a few Writing Prompts examples shown below:

Some prompts are even accompanied with Common Core State Standards. How cool is that!

(Click on the image to view a full screen version of the writing prompt.)

Classroom Connection:

I love, love, love how the Writing Prompts can be utilized not only to spark an interest in writing, but they can also be used as a way to get students to think outside of the box! Project them to an interactive whiteboard, a projector connected computer and/or use them at a classroom writing center by asking students to “jot a thought” about the given prompt. Maintaining an ongoing journal of Writing Prompts responses could also be a neat concept.

Can’t find suitable writing activities for your students and/or content area on the Writing Prompts web site? Not a problem! Experiment with creating your own visual prompts—or maybe even starting your own writing prompt blog! In fact, check out Journals, a spin-off of Writing Prompts developed by a teacher and former student of the original Writing Prompts creator for additional ideas.

Or better yet—how about challenging your students to create their very own visual writing prompts. Check out a few examples my Multimedia I students generated using PowerPoint.

Looking for a technology-based twist to Writing Prompts? Use one of my favorite Web 2.0 writing tools—Edmodo—to allow students to share and discuss their responses to Writing Prompts in a collaborative online environment. This is exactly what I did in my Multimedia I class with the visual prompts the students created. Yep—writing in a computer course! Imagine that! And it has never been more engaging—or relevant! And most importantly, the students actually enjoyed the activity!

For additional information about Edmodo, check out my “Cool Tools” wiki page here.

A huge shout out to Oregon teacher Luke Neff for developing and sharing such a fabulous resource!

by posted under Cool Tools | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Writing Prompts with a Visual Twist”

1. January 11th, 2013 at 2:42 pm       luke Says:

Cool post. Thanks. Great prompts by your students. It’s fun to see what others come up with, especially students…

- Luke

2. January 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm       edutech4teachers Says:

Thanks, Luke! Love your site! Thanks for the writing inspiration! Jamie

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

edutech4teachers

Find us on Facebook!

Follow edutech20 on Twitter!

Follow me on Scoop.it!

Check us out on your favorite mobile device!

Find this blog in the education blogs directory

Visit the Tech-knowledge-y Rocks Wikispace!

Interactive Learning Journeys live here!

The Geeky Girl’s Greatest Hit List Vol. I—February 2013

Check out the full screen version of this interactive image here!

Follow

Follow this blog