The Book of Life

April8

As an educator, I’m always looking for those “teachable moments”—times when I can discuss real world “stuff” with my students—the importance of treating others with respect regardless of differences, how to overcome adversity and taking responsibility for all actions. As a huge Snoopy fan, I especially enjoy these moments when I find the opportunity to incorporate some words of wisdom from my favorite gang of characters!

So, of course, after seeing this picture on Twitter the other day, I knew it could serve as the perfect visual writing prompt for my Language Arts class. Well, my students proved me right once again. As usual, their insight and various interpretations of sayings is just awesome!

Thank you Charles Shultz & Company for providing teachers like me with terrific classroom materials!

Classroom Connection:

The use of quotes and/or images to motivate and/or inspire students is not a new concept. I personally incorporate both on a regular basis—particularly in the form of a “bell ringer”—and can honestly say that this strategy is one of my most favorite ways to begin the day/class. Not only does it provide students with an opportunity to write about and then discuss interesting topics, but starting the period on a personal note helps to develop trusting, respectful relationships.

Other ways I’ve utilized quotes in the classroom include:

» Design an inspirational poster using a favorite quote.

» Challenge students to gather a variety of different quotes on the same topic and create a booklet with them.

» Create a quote scavenger hunt using the Internet or whatever sources you can supply.

What ways have you encouraged your students with quotes, proverbs, inspirational sayings and words of wisdom?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe By Email

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar