Diigo Weekly Update: Keyboarding Activities II

January5

diigo iconMany schools have worked diligently to integrate computers into the classroom, and they should be commended for this effort. Unfortunately, however, most of these same schools do not even give teaching the art and science of keyboarding a second thought. True, students need to know how to use computers to locate information, create and collaborate, but it’s equally important to teach them how to use the keyboard quickly and accurately.

That said, this week’s Diigo updates include three additional keyboarding activities that can be used to teach and/or reinforce typing skills.

» PowerTyping

A collection of keyboarding games that students can use to develop their typing skills. Lessons for Qwerty and Dvorak keyboards can also be found on this site.

» Listen and Write

A site that allows students to improve their keyboarding skills by typing what they hear while listening to short audio clips of news stories.

» Goodtyping

A free online typing skill development program that provides 27 graduated lessons designed to help students learn to use the entire keyboards correctly.

For additional typing activities, check out the Symbaloo Keyboarding webmix I have embedded below—one that is used in my Computers 5 classroom. I love, love the visual aspect this tool provides as well as the easy access students have to a list of typing practice games and activities they can utilize once an assignment is complete.

Yeah, I know… The webmix is a bit overpowering on this blog post, but at least you can get the general idea of what one looks like. For a glimpse of the “real deal”, check out my Classroom 21—Computers 5 wiki page.

If you like the Symbaloo webmix concept, take a look at my post highlighting this “cool tool” here.

Thanks to Free Technology for Teachers for sharing these keyboarding activities.

by posted under Cool Tools | 2 Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe By Email

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar