Make a Visual Statement with QuotesCover.com

May21

quotescoverIf you’re a regular visitor to my blog, especially as of late, it’s no secret that I’ve been sharing tools and resources that could help teachers spark an interest in writing. And that’s because I am a huge proponent of teaching visual literacy skills. Considering the mass media, digital age we are immersed in, I feel it’s imperative that students have the ability to interpret, negotiate and make meaning from information presented in the form of an image, which extends the meaning of literacy beyond printed text.

Combine that notion with the super popular quote images that are now splashed all over the place—social media, the Internet, billboards, etc.—and what do you have? The opportunity to develop the perfect activity to integrate pop culture with the honing of skills students need to communicate in a highly complex world. Yep, I’m talking about the creation of a project that combines images, text, writing and even classroom discussions or debates. And the tool to get the job done? None other than QuotesCover.com.

It’s no secret that one way to make pictures more memorable is by making them pop off the page. But designing elements such as typography, shapes, color combinations and composition can be a complex process. Well, until now, that is.

QuotesCover.com has now become my favorite go-to web tool for taking one of my very own photos, adding text and generating an image to represent exactly what I am so totally thinking or feeling. Not only does it transform the ordinary into the extraordinary, this nifty application is pretty simple to use. Check out my refuse to give up example below. ♥

a good song quote1

Want to make your own “eye candy”? Then check out QuotesCover.com and start your design by following three easy steps: Select your text by either adding your own or choose a famous quote, proverb or greeting from the online collection. Next, use the graphic editor to determine the type and size of image you would like to create. Lastly, experiment, tweak and play with the font and color combinations, drawing tools, effects and customizable background image to create your masterpiece.

Once you’re satisfied with the result, just download it for future use—on blogs and web or social media sites and/or in print projects such as newsletters or brochures.

Classroom Connection:

The use of quotes combined with images used to motivate and inspire students is not a new concept. As a classroom teacher, I personally incorporated both on a regular basis and can honestly say that this strategy was one of my most favorite ways to kickstart class, regardless of the content area.

That said, QuotesCover.com is a fabulous tool for teachers who are looking for a quick and easy yet powerful way to create their own quote images and/or who want their students to do the same.

As previously mentioned, we live in a world in which our students are constantly bombarded with images; thus, it is essential for them to have the skills to recognize, interpret and understand the context of these signs, pictures, graphics and symbols in order to make meaning of their environment.

So, if you’re going to use this particular visual literacy teaching strategy to generate writing and/or thought-provoking discussions, why not add a layer of technology to the process by having students create their own quote images with a tool like QuotesCover.com?

Finished products can be utilized for writing prompts, classroom conversations or both. For example, students can jot a thought and/or discuss in a small or whole group setting what the quotes actually means to them.

by posted under Cool Tools | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“Make a Visual Statement with QuotesCover.com”

1. May 23rd, 2014 at 3:04 pm       Judy Says:

Been playing around with it:

http://www.quotescover.com/live-always-in/app/profile-picture-maker_600x600

Is there a way to change the size of the picture, or is the picture always a background?

You can answer me on Twitter: @judyarzt

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

edutech4teachers

Find us on Facebook!

Follow edutech20 on Twitter!

Follow me on Scoop.it!

Check us out on your favorite mobile device!

Find this blog in the education blogs directory

sitting on stool with computerThis blog, created and maintained by Jamie Forshey, geeky girl, instructional technology specialist and teacher at the Bellwood-Antis School District in Central PA, is dedicated to innovative teaching and learning through the use of technology and digital media that engages students in learning while providing them with a 21st Century educational experience.

Visit the Tech-knowledge-y Rocks Wikispace!

Interactive Learning Journeys live here!

The Geeky Girl’s Greatest Hit List Vol. I—February 2013

Check out the full screen version of this interactive image here!

Follow

Follow this blog