Is Twitter Your Professional Development BFF?

June25

Evil_TwitterHave you ever said something out loud that results in that “Have you seriously lost your mind?” look? If not, then you’ve probably never told a group of colleagues that one of the best forms of professional development is—drum roll, please—Twitter. And yes, I’m so totally serious!

I’ve been fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend some of the best edtech conferences, workshops and trainings on the planet with some of the biggest names in the edtech world—all of which have been very beneficial. Yet, my go-to place for continual learning of invaluable information highlighting best practices, innovative thinking, instructional strategies and the integration of technology is this uber popular social media platform.

Call me crazy, but I honestly learn more and more every day about how to improve my craft by reading the tweets the members of my PLN (the professional learning network which consists of individuals I follow) share across this network—articles, thoughts, opinions, inspiration, quotes, images, and more!

And the best part? It’s quick (with a 140 character max per tweet), free, available 24/7 and you can connect, collaborate, discuss, exchange and even debate all sorts of ideas with your virtual colleagues—all in your PJs (or bikini) if you want!

Chances are that if you’re reading this blog, you’re probably already aware of the value of Twitter. And that means you’re either most likely an addict like me (Hey, it could be worse, right?) or a wannabe tweeter who’s not quite sure how to enter the dark side. Either way, these super cool resources—The A-Z of Twitter for Educators Infographic by UKEdChat and the The Educators’ Ultimate Twitter Guide – 2014 compliments of Sue Waters and The Edublogger—will certainly either reinforce what you already know to be true, teach you a new trick, or kickstart that urge to become a hashtag fanatic!

Educators-A-Z-of-Twitter-1

Classroom Connection:

Educators need to be consumers of information—constant seekers of current and relevant content in order to avoid becoming stagnant or complacent in our profession, but most importantly, to become the best we can be for our students. That said, use this post and the resources provided to build a PLN using Twitter—one that will most definitely deliver a plethora of links and recommendations for teaching and learning.

Twitter Image Attribution: Twitter for Education wikispace. Check out this resource for additional materials and info!

4 Comments to

“Is Twitter Your Professional Development BFF?”

1. June 26th, 2014 at 8:59 am       Elliott Bristow Says:

Congrats! Your post got featured in the Edublogs Reader! Check your dashboard! You should also add your post to our subreddit at http://reddit.com/r/Edublogs to attract more readers!

2. June 27th, 2014 at 1:57 am       thomas antony Says:

Thanks, your post is very effective and informative.
    Link professional

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Visit the Tech-knowledge-y Rocks Wikispace!

Interactive Learning Journeys live here!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe

Follow this blog

Skip to toolbar