All You Need is Math, Halloween and a QR Code Reader!

October26

qr-code-reader-scannerOne of the coolest and most rewarding aspects of my job is when I get to witness teachers and students interacting with technology in meaningful ways.

Today I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with a group of second graders as they completed a Halloween-themed QR code activity to review math skills. This was some pretty awesome stuff, for sure—especially considering Mrs. Coleman’s group has only had their iPads since last Wednesday!

Not only were the students totally engaged, motivated and excited to complete addition problems, they also learned how to utilize a very useful real-world app on their devices as well. To me, these are the types of activities that result in the transformation of teaching and learning in the classroom!

Check out Mrs. Coleman’s “boos” and “ghouls” in action!

halloween-collage

(The image was created using the Pic Collage app.)

A super high five to Mrs. Coleman for providing your students with a super fun and relevant twist on the reinforcement of math skills! I really appreciated the invite!

Download a copy of the QR Reader app that was used for this activity here. It’s simple, reliable and completely free!

Classroom Connection:

Now it’s your turn to incorporate a QR code activity into your classroom… There are an infinite number of ways to do so including scavenger hunts, extension activities, learning stations/centers and links to instructional materials, web sites, school activities or events, calendars, online manuals, videos, audio, maps and so much more!

Access to a wealth of information… All from using the camera on a mobile device.  How cool is that!

4 Comments to

“All You Need is Math, Halloween and a QR Code Reader!”

1. October 26th, 2016 at 4:53 pm       Kathy Says:

How fun! Any chance Mrs. Coleman would be willing to share her activity? From the pictures I am not able to tell exactly what the students had to do with both the cards and the grid.

2. October 27th, 2016 at 11:53 am       edutech4teachers Says:

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have asked Mrs. Coleman to contact you with additional info! Enjoy!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe By Email

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar