Project Reimagine: Another Phase Complete

December9

cafe-openIf you’ve been following my blog throughout this school year, you’ve probably seen some of the info and pics I’ve been sharing about Project Reimagine, the transformation of our traditional MS/HS school library into a modern-day media center.

Besides permitting students to use their mobile devices, the highlight of this space is the café. Although my Tech Club used the area to sell snacks, flavored waters and Gatorade to raise funds for the purchase of some equipment, this brand-new section of the media center has not been fully functional. That is, until now…

After several months of brainstorming, creative scheduling and many great minds working together, we have finally been able to make this part of the overall vision a reality. Staffed by an instructional aide and the combination of regular and special education students, we officially opened our café today!

Students can now visit the media center during study halls to complete assignments, work on projects and………enjoy hot drinks and breakfast items in the morning as well as a variety of snacks, pastries and drinks in the afternoon.

It may sound crazy to some, but I haven’t seen or heard this much excitement over a cup of hot chocolate in like, well…never! It was so awesome to hear students walk into the space all day and make statements such as “I love this place!” or “I can’t wait to come back here again.” When have I ever witnessed this kind of commentary about being in a school library? Like I said earlier—um…never!

While some students were talking, hanging out and sipping their cup of Joe, many of them were doing something one might not expect in this hip environment—learning! How to interact and communicate with their peers; How to operate kitchen equipment; How to enter info into a POS system; How to provide friendly customer service… And so many real-life skills that no book, device or app (in isolation) could ever provide!

It’s early in the game, but I would have to say: Mission accomplished! Check. It. Out!

img_9600

A shout out to Mr. Trexler for decorating our chalkboard. It’s pretty awesome!

Stay tuned for additional updates regarding the progress of our café…

In the meantime, learn more about Project Reimagine here and here.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe By Email

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar