Revisiting the Titanic

April11

April 15th marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.  With that said, I thought I would find some “Cool Tools” to teach my students about this infamous event.  In my quest to do so, I found a wealth of materials and resources that can be utilized across the K-12 curriculum.  Here are a few of my favorites:

» OnBoard the Titanic – A virtual field trip produced by Discovery in which students select one of five actual passengers who set sail on the Titanic.  After spending a few “virtual” days learning all about the ship, they find out if they survived the fateful night.

» The RMS Titanic – A very cool interactive and 3D infographic showing the Titanic—inside and out!

» Encyclopedia Titanica – A virtual treasure chest for anyone fascinated with Titanic. The site deems itself “the foremost repository of facts, opinion and media relating to RMS Titanic”.  Visitors to the site will find just about anything and everything pertaining to the Titanic!

» TitanicVoyage (@TitanicRealTime) – Experience the Titanic’s epic journey with minute-by-minute tweets as if from on board the ship itself. Created by @TheHistoryPress.

» Titanic:Her Journey – An interactive iPad app also created by @TheHistoryPress.

» Ultimate Titanic:  Legends, stories, history and facts about the RMS Titanic;  Includes teaching ideas as well.

» National Geographic: Unseen Titanic – Two galleries of interactive images of the Titanic in her final resting place.

» HistoryontheNet.com: Titanic Resources – A variety of handouts—quizzes, writing ideas, timelines, crossword puzzles, word searches and more!

» Survivors of the Titanic Series – Audio recordings of survivors and primary source documents from BBC.

» History.com – Videos, articles, interactives and photo galleries about the Titanic and its disaster.

» Watch Know Learn – A collection of short videos about the Titanic.

» The Best Sites for Learning About the Titanic – Tons of additional Titanic resources courtesy of Larry Ferlazzo’s Web Sites of the Day blog

Classroom Connection:

Use these resources and materials for teaching and learning about the Titanic and its demise—one of the most famous events in modern-day history.

by posted under Cool Tools | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

edutech4teachers

Find us on Facebook!

Follow edutech20 on Twitter!

Follow me on Scoop.it!

Be positive! Be inspired! Join the #edugood 365 Photo Project!

See a photo a day on jf20's ShutterCal

Check out how to get your classroom or school involved here!

Check us out on your favorite mobile device!

Find this blog in the education blogs directory

sitting on stool with computerThis blog, created and maintained by Jamie Forshey, geeky girl, instructional technology specialist and teacher at the Bellwood-Antis School District in Central PA, is dedicated to innovative teaching and learning through the use of technology and digital media that engages students in learning while providing them with a 21st Century educational experience.

The Geeky Girl’s Greatest Hit List Vol. I—February 2013

Check out the full screen version of this interactive image here!

The Geeky Girl’s PETE&C Picks Vol. I—February 2013

Favorite Cool Tools of 2012

Visit the Tech-knowledge-y Rocks Wikispace!

Interactive Learning Journeys live here!

Follow

Follow this blog