Teach Copyright Basics with a Cool Interactive Tool

January11

copyrightallrightsreservedThe Background: I was completing a digital storytelling activity with a group of fifth grade students yesterday.

The Problem: When I answered a question about whether or not images from the Internet could be utilized in the project (for the 17th time), one of the students nonchalantly yelled out, “But who’s gonna know?”

The Response: Well, instead of getting physical, screaming at the top of my lungs and/or throwing my laser pointer, I hopped on my digital citizenship and honesty soap box—again—and attempted to explain the reasons behind my answer (including “Do you really want the copyright Police banging on your door? Ha, ha!).

The Outcome: After witnessing 24 blank stares gazing back at me during my very calm and professional rant, I realized it was time to search for yet another resource to teach students about the topic of copyright and fair use. Obviously, all of the information I’ve shared regarding the use of images and audio in multimedia projects had not made the impact I had hoped it would. Despite my pleas—oh, and the law—I guess it’s just much easier just to use that copy and paste function. At least that’s life according to a ten year old.

The Search Results: Among other useful materials, I stumbled across a pretty neat interactive image on the Cyberbee site that answers some common student questions about copyright, including the one that sent me over the edge!

The Screenshot: That’s what is shown below. Click here to access the interactive version of this graphic.

copyright interactive

Classroom Connection:

Use the Cyberbee interactive tool to teach students the basics of copyright guidelines.

Image attribution: Central Washington University Piracy Information.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

edutech4teachers

Find us on Facebook!

Follow edutech20 on Twitter!

Follow me on Scoop.it!

Be positive! Be inspired! Join the #edugood 365 Photo Project!

See a photo a day on jf20's ShutterCal

Check out how to get your classroom or school involved here!

Check us out on your favorite mobile device!

Find this blog in the education blogs directory

sitting on stool with computerThis blog, created and maintained by Jamie Forshey, geeky girl, instructional technology specialist and teacher at the Bellwood-Antis School District in Central PA, is dedicated to innovative teaching and learning through the use of technology and digital media that engages students in learning while providing them with a 21st Century educational experience.

The Geeky Girl’s Greatest Hit List Vol. I—February 2013

Check out the full screen version of this interactive image here!

The Geeky Girl’s PETE&C Picks Vol. I—February 2013

Favorite Cool Tools of 2012

Visit the Tech-knowledge-y Rocks Wikispace!

Interactive Learning Journeys live here!

Follow

Follow this blog