Infographic of the Week: The Myths vs. Facts about Copyright Infringement

January7

197px-Copyright_svgYeah, I know—I’m posting back-to-back Infographic of the Week posts, but I’ve seen so many of these informative educational visuals in the last few days that I couldn’t resist sharing another one! That said, enjoy this very useful and relevant resource!

The recent push to create 21st Century educational experiences for students has resulted in a revolution of multimedia projects and authentic assessments in schools.  As teachers continue to find ways to engage this generation of students in meaningful, relevant content, they must understand that this type of teaching and learning is coupled with the responsibility of becoming knowledgeable regarding copyright laws and fair use guidelines—topics that have emerged alongside the integration of technology into the K-12 curriculum.

Educators today not only have the challenge of teaching students how to utilize various Web 2.0 tools and applications that often involve the incorporation of images, music and/or video, but they must also show students how to become conscientious digital citizens—which includes but is not limited to properly citing sources and seeking permission for use of copyrighted materials.

There are tons of resources available to learn about fair use and copyright related to education—including the Getting to Know Your Copy-Rights wiki page I created to assist teachers in better understanding copyright and fair use in the context of the classroom—but the infographic shown below is a must-see visual highlighting five common myths associated with internet copyright infringement.

Copyright Infringement: 5 Myths vs Facts

In addition to a variety of links for copyright and royalty free images, music and audio that can be incorporated into lessons, projects and without the worry of copyright infringement, my Getting to Know Your Copy-Rights resource also contains a “Copyright 101 for the 21st Century Classroom” newsletter/quick reference guide I developed to explain fair use and copyright guidelines as they pertain to the educational setting.

Thank you to Med Kharbach for sharing this infographic on his Educational Technology and Mobile Learning blog.

Classroom Connection:

The Myths vs. Facts about Copyright Infringement infographic as well as the resources located on the Getting to Know Your Copy-Rights wiki page can help teachers to become more familiar with copyright laws.  This information can also be used to teach students how to be responsible digital citizens. It is important that they understand what media types are legal to incorporate into their projects as well as how to properly cite the images, audio and videos that are utilized.

BTW—Infographics make really neat posters! Use the Block Posters web tool to create one for your students!

Infographic of the Week is a series designed to promote the use of infographics and visual literacy in the classroom.

2 Comments to

“Infographic of the Week: The Myths vs. Facts about Copyright Infringement”

1. January 9th, 2014 at 2:10 pm       jakers Says:

Great looking list of resources.
    Started checking some out and there are a fair number of broken links. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Thanks!

2. June 23rd, 2014 at 9:07 pm       edutech4teachers Says:

Hey there! Would you mind letting me know what links you have found to be broken? Thanks!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Be sure to add this awesome tool to your tech-box!

Follow Us on Facebook!

Follow Us on Scoop.it!

Archives

Click on the badge to view the EdTech Magazine article.
Book Creator Ambassador badge

Subscribe By Email

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar